Almost a third of European businesses are still not compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), according to accounting firm RSM.
RSM said medium-sized businesses were “struggling to understand and implement” the GDPR, which came into force in May 2018.
The report, based on a survey of 300 companies found that over half (57 per cent) said they were ‘confident’ their business complies with the GDPR, while 13 per cent weren’t sure.
The GPDR regulates the way that businesses collect, share and store people’s personal information, ensuring that this data is protected from data leakage, theft and malicious use.
But why are almost one in three businesses still struggling to comply with the GDPR?
With the on-going pressures put on businesses from various stakeholders and the added burden of the new regulation to change processes there will obviously be the need to employ new staff, to train and to be able to maintain their grasp on data security. Not to mention having to also carry out due diligence on their supply chain.
Is technology the answer?
There is more data than ever before spreading across the globe, it increases by the second, so it’s no surprise to see organisations struggle to take control of it.
There are numerous technology solutions available on the market which can ease these pressures, help to discover gaps in security and compliance and also help to maintain and measure the risk within your business and also your supply chain.
With record fines being given out to businesses of all sizes, its important to ensure that your business has the correct tools to help you with GDPR.
View More Articles
- 14th October 2019Data: Defining or Divisive
- 12th September 20192019 on track to be the “worst year on record” for data breach activity
- 10th September 2019Leaving the EU: Brexit and GDPR
- 9th September 2019Data Breaches: Did you know?
- 5th September 2019What should you do if your data has been breached?
- 3rd September 2019GDPR was just the beginning
- 14th August 2019The dangers of Subject Access Requests
- 12th August 2019Is GDPR now being taken more seriously?
- 5th August 2019The financial impact of Subject Access Requests
- 1st August 2019DDC AS Launches SmartRedact